Sunday, March 10, 2013

Week Eight: What Happens in Vegas


We got to Las Vegas on Valentine’s Day and went to Mary and Frank Bundra’s house, our hosts for the week.  They have an efficiency apartment in their back yard, and we each have our own bed. (It's the little things you learn to appreciate along the way!)   It’s pretty neat how we found our host family here in Las Vegas.  I don’t know if you remember Pastor Brian Wicks in our San Antonio story? He told us about his friends in Las Vegas, and said he'd try to set us up to stay with them while we were here in Las Vegas! Well, this is them!  They are such an awesome Christian family.  They have eight children (yep, eight children!)  and have been married almost 30 years.  




Once we got settled in our apartment, we headed out to the Las Vegas Rescue Mission.  I'd been speaking with their volunteer coordinator, Shannon, for a few days, and she'd signed us up to serve for three nights while we were there.  When we arrived, we met Ted, the man in charge of the kitchen volunteers, (also homeless and in the program there at the Mission) and Matt (you remember Matt from "Finding Sobriety and Jesus in Las Vegas.") They put us right to work on the food line, and I have to tell you, the food the mission staff cooked was really impressive!



We loved serving at the mission and asked how we could sign up for more nights! After the first night, I was asked to be the Prayer Chaplain while we were there, so each night I prayed, and Kathy served in the food line, roles we were both familiar with, and roles we both loved.  I was so blessed to pray over so many men there at the mission.  You would think that I would grow hard to their stories, they are all such familiar tales of alcohol and loss and devastation, but with each new person I meet, their story impacts me in a new way.  I think maybe that's a gift from the Holy Spirit. I think they need the freshness that comes with my emotion and compassion for them and their story.

One night in particular I prayed for 3 men who had particularly difficult stories.  We prayed hard for their needs, for habits to be broken, for life change.  As Kathy and I arrived one night, the three of them hollered at me (that's Texan for "they called my name.")  God had moved in their lives, and they were anxious to tell me about it!  All three of them had gotten jobs!  Praise Jesus.  One of them had gotten a job as a plumber making $20 an hour!  They wanted to credit me with the glory of that, but I told them very quickly that the power of prayer comes from Jesus, not from me.  I'm just a woman obediently living out God's will.

We did spend one day outside of the mission, serving the homeless on the streets.  Sometimes I think I should be a little intimidated by the things that happen on the street, but either I don't have enough sense to be scared, or the Lord is making me bold.  (I'm gonna choose the latter!)  As we arrived on the streets, a group of homeless people surrounded our car.  We had snacks to hand out, and even had a couple of new suitcases to give away.  

Lester with his new suitcase.  He was so happy to have it!
As we got out of the car, a group of about 6 people made a circle and prayed with us. This isn't really that uncommon out here.  In the "real" world, you would not walk up to a group of people and just start praying.  But out on the street, this is pretty commonplace.  Sometimes I wonder if it's because these people are at the end of their ropes and know that prayer and Jesus is what they need?  Maybe there is a lesson for us to learn there.

Anyway, one man in particular asked if he could pray for us.  He prayed 1 Corinthians 3:16 over us.  "Do you not know that you are God's temple and that His Holy Spirit dwells in you?" At the time, while it was nice, it did not seem that significant.  But then on Sunday, when we attended church with our hosts, the Pastor preached about this very verse.  Things like that are not lost on me.  

We continued to serve at the Mission until Wednesday night. We said good-bye to our new friends and our hosts, and we hit the road toward Los Angeles.  Maybe it seems silly to you that I would say this, but each time we say good-bye, I feel like I am leaving a small piece of my heart behind.  I fall in love with these people, with our hosts, the homeless men and women we meet, and those working and living at the missions.  If I'm honest, sometimes I feel a little bit like I am abandoning them.

Across the street from the Las Vegas Rescue Mission


But we must continue on the road.  As a friend reminded me the other day, Jesus left cities where there was still much work to be done.  He left because God had work for Him in other cities.  And God has work for us down the road.  

We continue to covet your prayers and are thankful for those of you who continue to provide for us on the journey.  If the Lord so leads you to help, you may do so by following this link.

Blessings to you all!

Sammie


No comments:

Post a Comment