Monday, January 21, 2013

Week Two of the Journey - Austin, TX



We left Ft. Worth on January 5th after Unity Park and went to Austin. My nephew and his wife, both doctors, live there with a sweet newborn. They live on Lake Austin and had a vacant house around the corner from their house that we stayed in for the week.  It was awesome. We had a microwave and fridge and air mattresses and came and went as we pleased.  This homeless girl was in heaven!

It's great to be able to stay with people along the route. It allows us to save our money for meals and gas, as well as to meet the needs of the homeless along the way. And as odd as it might sound, staying in a vacant house with a few amenities is actually better for the work we are doing than to stay in the home with families, due to the erratic nature of our schedule!  Of course, that doesn't mean we'd turn down the opportunity to stay with a family if that's what God has for us.  (We're always in need of a place to stay!  Take a look at our schedule and let us know if you'd like to host us while we are in your area!)

Our week in Austin started with Church Under the Bridge through the Mission Possible Group.

Waiting on Lunch to Arrive.  Did you know that Austin's
homeless population is estimated to be over 4000 in Travis County alone?


I googled this Ministry and started talking by email with several people from there.  Kimberly, the person in charge of communications, got me to the right people to help me get in to speak at the Church under the Bridge and Gandalf’s Prayer CafĂ©. (More on this ENTIRE Organization on this week's post about those who serve the homeless).  We also worked with Alissa and Beau there. Such great folks.


I had the opportunity to be the guest speaker at the Church Under the Bridge, where I got to share my story with over 300 people. Beau, from Mission Possible, is the Street Ministry & Community Outreach Director. He let me be the lead speaker that day. (Sometimes I say speaker, sometimes I say preacher but really I am a storyteller; telling of what and how God changed my life. Sharing how He can change everyone’s  life… )  There was a real mix of people there for sure; Christians, non-Christians, doers and non-doers.

The band at Church Under the Bridge was awesome. The leader of the band, David Straley, was so nice. We taped our time with video, but it didn’t come out.  He had also taped it, so he edited it from 24 to 10 min, and put on my you tube for me!  I told my testimony as I have many times. 

After I spoke, several people came up and spoke to me. We met a young man who had gone to Notre Dame University. He was sleeping on the street with the homeless for a chance to see what it was like to be homeless. He gave me 4 dollars. (I still have it. I will not spend it. God will multiply that , a lot…)  He was so excited to give me that. He said it was tough out there, that most people think they know (but they really have no idea.)  I am sure his life is changed forever having been on the street.  Very humbling to know someone of that age is trying to see how he can make a difference.

Another lady came up to me from a church and said, “Here, I love what you are doing, I am sure you could use a little help.”  SHE gave me $40.00 but wouldn’t give her name or let anyone see her doing it.   

A man that was with the group serving food that day came to me and asked for my card.  He said that he was excited about what I was doing, and he was going to get his group to pray for us.  A few minutes later I went to the car to put my camera up, and he was in a big group showing my card and telling them that he wanted them all to keep “those two ladies” in prayers “because they are going to need it.”

Another man with one of the church groups gave us a large gold coin with an angel on one side and a version of Psalms 91:11 and said “Keep this with you.”

I spoke to another man who  told me to come the next Saturday to CUB.  It is a different group, and he said I would love it.  We did, and  I was given 15 minutes to speak (the pastor was from Spring, TX, originally.)  They had a prayer circle at the end.  That was the last thing we did before going to San Antonio.

There are so many small things that happen along the way, far too many to share for sure, but I wanted to give you a glimpse of some of those small, but beautiful moments.

We were driving down the road, and were down to a few miles before empty. We started to look for a Shell station because our gas gift card was from there.  We were commenting on how high the gas was ($3.19 was the cheapest and no Shell in site!)  About that time we came over an incline. Well, there was a Shell station and the gas was only $3.04 a gallon.  Our gas meter said we were on "zero miles til empty." We got all excited and praised God!

Then we were coming out of a place where we just had eaten dinner. I was at the door and two ladies were coming out.  As I held the door for them, we exchanged pleasantries. Then one of the women started to tell me that her dad died the day after Christmas and that her mom was in an assisted care facility. This all came out of nowhere. I began to talk her and asked her if I could pray with her, and she said I could.  We were just outside of the restaurant doors, and it was busy. I began to pray for her and all she was going through (right there in front of those doors!)   It was cold and as we hurried back toward our car, she yelled at me and ran back and gave me $15. It was all that she had she said, but she wanted to bless what we were doing.   She blessed us!  God is Good all the time; all the time God is Good.  

 Sammie

1 comment:

  1. God bless you Sammie...stories are great! His hand will help and guide your path as you go forth to do His work. Love and xoxoxox your friend, Lizette

    ReplyDelete