Thursday, June 20, 2013

Bigg Al, Bigg Hearts, and a Bigg Taste of Texas


We left Oregon and went up the coast, one of God’s many creation wonders . . . simply out of this world, breath taking beauty.  We went up Hwy 101 which we didn’t realize the “scenic route.“



We were supposed to go to Portland next, but we rearranged our schedule a bit to accommodate our hosts’ schedule. We spent our 9 days in Everett, WA, at the home of my friend, Rick, and his wife, Ann. 



(Originally from Texas, Rick used to work for me when I was in the construction business, before taking his current position as the Director of Facilities for Everett Housing Authority.) Being at their home was a big giant taste of Texas.

Kathy and I were scheduled to work at the Everett Rescue Mission, so once we were settled in at Rick and Ann’s we reported to duty and served in the food line for about 150 men that night.  It was fun.  I prayed one on one with some and met some really nice new friends.  I always have such a difficult time deciding whose story to share, so I hope the ones I chose will impact you and your opinion of homeless people. 

Meet Richard. Richard, like many other homeless people, had gotten himself into some trouble.  Originally from New Orleans, he came to Everett after Hurricane Katrina.  He was just looking for a new start. Unfortunately, he got into some trouble with his girlfriend, and she accused him of domestic violence.  He says it wasn’t true, that she was just mad at him and wanted to get him into trouble.  You hear all kinds of stories out here, and you never know which ones are true, but I did believe him. But, the government doesn’t take too kindly to domestic violence cases, so  he can’t get any help from the government.  He really was not a bad guy at all, just needs a chance. He is a Christian, and we prayed together.  I still talk to him on the phone.  Praying for you, Richard.


Now Meet Irving. I met Irving in the food line while serving in the kitchen.  Irving is a transplant from New Orleans because of Hurricane Katrina as well,  but he and Richard didn’t know each other until they got to Everett.  Can you believe it?  Irving has a special place in my heart too.  I went and got him every day, and he went with us as our tour guide in Seattle, (as that’s where he first lived after coming to Washington.)



We went on the streets and ministered to the homeless with food, toiletries and the Bible, and Irving came right along.  I loved it that he worked right beside us.  He stays at the mission because he has no work, but he’s trying to get some benefits.  He’s very determined not to be homeless, and I believe he will succeed.

He’s full of the Lord, love and life.  Can’t wait to see what he does next. I still speak to him several times a week.  He is one of my many true brothers in Christ.


And finally, Meet Bigg Al. One day I went out to hit the streets while Kathy stayed home to do computer work.  I’d already been on the streets a few days so I knew where to go in Everett to find the homeless.   I pulled up where they were and there was a guy with an SUV parked, giving out toiletries and snacks.  Well, of course, I had to see what was going on so I went over to his vehicle.  When I walked up, the homeless ladies saw me, and they all approached me.  I started talking to one of them in detail.  After I heard her story, I started to pray for her as she sat on the back of Bigg Al’s SUV, and I laid hands on her.


I hadn’t even met Bigg Al yet, but he didn’t disturb me as I was praying.  But that’s how I met him and here’s his story.
Bigg All had a wonderful childhood.  But as he chased after his dream in life, he ended up hanging out with the wrong people , and soon found drugs, Meth to be exact, and was hooked.  Before long, Bigg Al became a drug dealer and was involved in organized crime.  He calls it his own personal taste of hell.

All  of the friends he started this journey with either died or were arrested.  Soon, he lost everything and was down to just one backpack. He called his ex-wife and kids out of desperation, and they took him in, took him to church, and he surrendered his life to the Lord and was filled with the Holy Spirit.

He started helping in his Church’s ministry, and now works with a group of people who go somewhere every Saturday to preach the Word to the homeless. Through the week, he does like I do, hits the streets and gives out things to the homeless

He even brought me two big boxes of great stuff for me to give out!

Bigg Al is now remarried and works for the church.  I know you hear me say this all the time, but even when we, the world, have given up on someone ever being able to get their life straight, God never does.  He never does.

No comments:

Post a Comment