Monday, June 17, 2013

Easy to Judge the Homeless - Easy to Judge Their Families - Eugene, OR



We got to Eugene early one evening only to discover that God, once again, had given us a wonderful CHEAP hotel with two, yes I said TWO bedrooms, clean and decent. Just around the corner from the hotel as we came in we saw homeless under the bridges.  Boy I got excited.  (I guess most people wouldn’t be excited about their hotel being just around the corner from the local homeless population, but well . . . you know.)

Eugene ended up being a “stopover” for us because we’d sent email  after email with letters of reference for weeks and either didn’t receive a response or got a “no” you can’t stay here and/or “no” you can’t speak or serve here BUT GOD still had plans for us to see homeless there.  I have to say that since I listen to the Holy Spirit to lead me and people say “no” but God says “yes”, I still go.

The next morning, we got up after sleeping in a bit, (we were so tired and Kathy was so sick.)  Once we loaded up and started out of town, we started looking for the homeless.  BUT GOD had me drive by a small, but nice park right under two freeways.  I saw groups of homeless, so I stopped.  The first group was two guys and a girl so I got some peanut butter crackers and some Bibles and headed across the street to talk with them.  You never know what you’re going to get when you walk up to somebody, sweet grapes or sour grapes, I still just go…

They received me well.  All of them really loved it in Eugene.  They said it was kind of a hippie town and laid back.  I spoke to the girl for a while.  She is from California.  She’d left Eugene and went home to California but just had to come back.  She said it was easier to be homeless in Eugene than it was in California.  The other two guys were born and raised in Eugene.  

Drugs were the problem for all three of them.  One guy loved heroine but they ALL loved pot, and I’m not kiddin’.  The one who loved heroine pulled out a BIG zip lock bag and they started rolling joints.  I knew it was time for me to leave because they were firing them up, and I wanted no part of it.  I managed to stay out of trouble for 57 years and wasn’t about to get into it by association and the Holy Spirit pulled me away. 



I got back in the car and drove to the other side of the park.  I saw a pleasant looking older guy so I got my standard crackers and Bible and set out to talk to him.  What a pleasant person he was.

You know when you see those people oozing the Lord?  Paul was that guy.  He glowed from ear to ear.  He said “Sit down, let’s talk.”  As he was eating his peanut butter crackers I started talking to him about what I was doing and why I came to talk to him.  

Of course I started to ask my famous question “Why are you homeless?”  He said “my unemployment money ran out 16 months ago but I’ve been unemployed since 2007” so he just sleeps on the street.  He had a Safeway shopping cart full of his clothes and his foam mattress and blankets.  He also had two little Chihuahuas.  He sure does love them.  He told me he doesn’t trust anyone on the streets and the only thing he really loves are these two male Chihuahuas.
 
It was an exceptionally happy day for Paul today because at 5 p.m. a man who had a bike with a custom made trailer behind it was getting rid of it and was going to give it to him so he could get rid of his basket and have a place for his puppies to ride on with him and to keep his stuff more secure.  He said he kept to himself all the time because he didn’t want any trouble from anyone. 

He said Jefferson Park was the right park for me to come to as there were all kinds of homeless there.  He said this was a big park and on the other side of the bridge was where all the “meanness” was and “do NOT go there.”  I prayed with him for peace as he really already had it, but just wanted it to be confirmed and he wanted plenty of food for his puppies.  He said that he had everything he needed because God was in his life, and he was happy.  About that time a friend of his came up to the picnic table by the name of Todd.




I found out that Todd was the real reason I was in Eugene for. Todd had spent his life in and out of trouble and wound up in prison at an early age.  It’s sad that at such a young age you can’t leave drugs and alcohol alone and steal to get money for those habits. I had a real connection with him.  He was seeking answers. 

He’s only 45 and still doesn’t know for sure his journey.  He loves the Lord and knows He’s the Way but still needs guidance.  Todd was released from prison 8 years ago.  Initially his parents helped him, but he relapsed and they washed their hands of him.  He wants so badly to get reconnected with his family, but he just can’t get clean.
 
I prayed with him for direction and for help to get out of his current situation.  And I prayed for him to be reunited with his family. I think sometimes it’s easy to judge, both sides of the fence.  Easy to judge the homeless, easy to judge their families.  But really, we can’t judge any of them.  Just love them.

-Sammie

No comments:

Post a Comment